Since fish oil is now regarded by many as a necessary dietary supplement, many pharmaceutical companies have created their own fish oil brands that offer different levels of Omega 3 fatty acid content.
Fish oil is rich in Omega 3 fatty acids, which are needed by the body to improve the circulatory and immune systems, among others.
The two important types of essential fat contained in Omega 3 fatty acids are Docosahexaenoic acid (DHA) and Eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA). Since the body cannot produce such fatty acids on its own, it needs to get this omega oil from external sources. This is what the supplement provides.
What does fish oil do for your body?
There are many benefits that fish oil provides, from improving blood circulation down to preventing cancer. Here are some of the most common health benefits of this omega oil:
- Strengthens the Circulatory System – Taking in a pill a day will prevent the blood from clotting, thereby reducing the risk of heart attacks, high blood pressure and high cholesterol level. The pill can maintain normal blood pressure and regulate heart rate.
- Prevents Breast, Colon, and Prostate Cancer – Fish oil inhibits the growth of cancer cells. This will prevent the cancer cells from growing into a huge mass and spreading throughout the body. In some cases, drinking the pill will even spur apoptosis or cell death.
- Soothes Pain – Those suffering from arthritis and rheumatism can drink this omega oil due to its anti-inflammatory qualities.
- Helps Brain Function – Most of the fat in a person’s brain is DHA. This is why the oil is helpful in improving memory and recall. It also makes the person more focused and alert.
Different Fish Oil Brands on the Market: Similarities and Differences
The best fish oil supplement will depend on how clean the fish used in the supplement are. The amount of DHA and EPA in each pill will also matter. Here is a list of the famous fish oil brands on the market:
- Carlson Fish Oil – Created by John and Susan Carlson in 1965, this brand uses mackerel and anchovies for their product, which is available in lemon and orange flavours. The supplement comes in liquid form, and the fishy burp and aftertaste is minimal in contrast to generic supplements. Just refrigerate the liquid after use to preserve its freshness. Furthermore, one dose will provide 1,600mg of Omega 3.
- Kirkland Fish Oil – One dose of this product will provide 300mg of Omega 3. Despite the small dosage per pill, it makes use of molecular distillation, which is the process of removing metals like lead and mercury from the fish, leaving it free from toxins and pollutants. It also does not contain artificial colouring and flavouring.
- Dr. Barry Sears Fish Oil – This brand is perfect for those suffering from heart disorders that require a higher dose of Omega 3. Each pill provides over 60% of DHA and EPA, in contrast to generic brands that only contain 30% per pill. Dr. Sears fish oil offers fine quality supplements, plus the benefits of contributing to weight loss and anti-aging, and increasing stamina.
- Nordic Naturals Fish Oil – Invented by Joar Opheim, Nordic Naturals makes use of small fish found in Norwegian waters such sardines and anchovies. This is because larger fish contain more contaminants and toxins than those found in smaller bodies of water. The fish undergoes molecular distillation, similar to Kirkland fish oil. Nordic fish oil has won several awards for their contaminant-free pills. Moreover, how they process their pills is based on latest research, thus making its technology up-to-date and its pills, less prone to side effects.
- Norwegian Fish Oil – Another brand from Norway, Norwegian fish oil offers supplements in liquid or capsule form. Similar to Nordic Naturals, they use unique machinery to produce quality omega oils free of toxins and pollutants. Moreover, they use salmon and shark from the Arctic Ocean.
- Spring Valley Fish Oil – This brand is famous for their enteric-coated fish oil pills. Normally, a liquid dose of fish oil is better than taking in a capsule since the nutrients are absorbed directly and immediately in liquid form. With enteric-coated fish oil pills, the soft gel capsule will only dissolve once it is already in the small intestine, so the effect would be the same as drinking the oil itself. Also, the enteric coating will prevent the fishy aftertaste and burp, which is common if one drinks generic fish oil supplements.
The type of fish oil brand for you will depend on bodily needs and your health record. It is safe to assume that buying branded supplements are better than generic ones because the former is more guaranteed in terms of technology and research. Hence, knowing the different fish oil brands available on the market is the first step towards making a healthy choice.
Thank you for reading Fish Oil Brands – Similarities and Differences.
If you like this post please consider linking to it using this code: